- What is pregnancy massage?
- How soon can pregnancy massage begin?
- What are the physical benefits of pregnancy
- What are the psychological and emotional benefits
of pregnancy massage?
- How does a pregnancy massage proceed?
- Why do mothers need massages after their
Pregnancy massage is the massage performed on the pregnant mothers and post
delivery mothers.. Pregnancy is a happy experience, however it can be pretty
stressful too. Pregnant mothers always experience aches and pains because of the
hormonal changes and the change of the weight distribution. Massage can provide
significant physical, psychological and emotional benefits to the mothers.
Therefore massage can help the pregnancy experience to be even happier and
Pregnancy massage can start as early as the first trimester as long as the
massage is being performed by a trained and licensed massage therapist. Eva is
trained and certified to perform pregnancy massage.
Helps momís body eliminate waste products through the lymphatic and
circulatory systems, which combats fatigue and helps mom feel more energetic.
By aiding in circulation, massage eases the load on momís heart and helps to
keep her blood pressure in check.
Relieves many of the normal discomforts during pregnancy, such as
backaches, a stiff neck, leg cramps, headaches, edema and sore, swollen ankles
Increases local and general blood circulation, which brings more oxygen and
nutrients to the cells of both mom and fetus, this means greater vitality and
less fatigue for mom and better nourishment for baby.
Stimulates glandular secretions, which helps stabilize hormone levels.
Relax tense muscles, tones loose muscles and increases muscular flexibility;
this will be most helpful during the third trimester and during birth itself.
Eases constipation, gas and heartburn.
Reduces fluid retention.
Slows the progress of varicose vein.
Lessens sciatic pain.
- Helps relieve depression and anxiety caused by hormonal changes mom is
- Soothes and relaxes nervous tension which helps the mother sleep more
easily deeply. Doctors agree that a relaxed mother will have a happier,
healthier pregnancy and possibly a easier childbirth experience.
- A study conducted by Dr. Tiffany Field at the University of Miami School
of Medicine showed that massage actually reduces stress hormones in the body.
- Touch helps the mom adjust to her new body image.
- Many moms are professional women with the added stress of job security,
massage helps to relieve the added stress.
If mom can tolerate lying down, the massage will proceed in side lying and
lying on her back positions. However, if mom experiences nausea feelings, the
massage can be performed in a sitting position. Throughout the massage therapy
session, mom is warmly draped at all times, except for the area being worked on.
Massage oil will be used as required. Soft music will also be played to enhance
your relaxation. Mom can choose her massage session to be either 60 minutes or
90 minutes. A full body massage session is able to be completed in 60 minutes,
however, 90 minutes can enhance the maximum results of relaxation and
- Moms commonly suffer from musculoskeletal discomfort and pain due to a
shift in gravity, birthing positions and labor.
- Mom's pelvis slowly beings to return to its pre-pregnant shape and size,
placing additional strain on the back and thighs. Massage can help to relief
the muscular aches.
- Uterus gradually returns to its pre-pregnant size within 6 weeks after
birth. Uterine involution massage assists with this process.
- Breasts are usually tender and heavy with milk, often accompanied by
muscles pain across the upper back of moms.
- Hormones change dramatically after birth of baby. Two third of the mothers
suffer from post partum blues, 10% suffer from post partum depression and 1-2%
suffer from post partum psychosis. Massage can help to relieve the stress and
- Backaches or severe headaches may result from epidural injection, light
massage around the site where needle was put in can help to alleviate the
Copyright © 2003 [The Journey]. All rights reserved.